Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Masking Technique Birthday Parade


My youngest daughter just turned 6 and even though I hadn't stamped in over a month, I wanted to make something special for her and take my time. I decided to use the Storybook Friends stamp set (126737) with the masking technique for a fun birthday parade.


First I stamp the fox with Black Stazon ink (as I will later be using the blender pens to color him, and that will prevent the colors to bleed on the paper)


Then I stamped the fox again but this time on a Post It note making sure it was on the sticky part. I then cut the fox out of the sticky note placing the note on top of my card stock making sure the lines are all lined up. The sticky part of the Post It note holds it firmly in place and it won't shift.


Last step is to stamp the bunny so it looks like he is marching just behind the fox. The Clear Mount Stampset makes it so easy to see where you are placing him and as you can tell from the picture you won't see his foot because it technically is covered by the fox's tail.


Now remove the Post It note and color in. I used blender pens together with Daffodil Delight, Pumpkin Pie, Rich Razzleberry and Basic Gray Classic Inks. For that realistic look make sure to add more color where the shadows would normally be. Finishing touches include a pennant using Basic Gray from the Neutrals Designer Series Pack, Daffodil Delight from the Summer Smooches Designer Series Pack, the Silver Glimmer Paper, a small strip of Whisper White cardstock stamped with Hooray in Stazon Black, all of it topped with a Rich Razzleberry button and White Bakers Twine. I embossed a piece of Rich Razzleberry cardstock with the Polka Dotted Embossing Folder for a fun layer between my Whisper White cardstock and the Pumpkin Pie card base. And because my youngest is a girly girl a big rhinestone for the flag. Now I would love to say that the card was a big hit, but all she said was: "Oh it is a Halloween card" ...ha ha...well I guess now I know for next time, it has to be PINK!

2 comments:

  1. I think this card is cute! I love the color combo and the way you did the streamers. So glad to see you join the world of blogging! You have so many wonderful ideas! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd love to see all the tricks you have up your sleeve, so keep on posting :) Thank you - I love your stuff!

    ReplyDelete